Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jem and the Holograms

So Christmas holiday brief was to research and prepare a 5-minute discussion on someone you considered to be a memorable character from the world of animation and why. The idea is to make you think about what makes a character memorable; what makes them stick in your head, what was their appeal, what makes them the way they are, who created them and why did they create them like they did, that kinda thing.

Our lecturer Sharron wants us all to research three characters in case someone else chooses the same person you do, but we’ve all collectively decided against it ‘cause we’re lazy and work-shy and made sure no one copied anyone else so we don’t have to do extra work.

My memorable character is the wonderful and truly outrageous Jem from the 80’s cartoon Jem and the Holograms. I used to watch it on VHS all the way back when I was a young’un and she’s always stuck in my memory till this day. Looking back the animation is incredibly dodgy and the episodes were very bitty and rumbled together (the Japanese animators reused animations left, right and centre), but the whole idea behind her; the secret identity, the band, the cool (at the time) clothes and the songs they used to sing… man I fell hook, line and sinker. She was, and still is, awesome; I swear I still remember the songs to this day. She was like the original Hannah Montana, which, as you know, is every 5-year-old girl’s dream.

This is my favourite song from the show. It’s called Deception and it’s about her dual-personalities and the love triangle that develops between Jem, Jerrica (her name when she’s not Jem) and her boyfriend Rio. Basically Jerrica never tells Rio that she is Jem, and Rio finds himself attracted to her alter-ego. But while Jerrica spends much of the series scared that Rio will reject her once he discovers she has lied to him, she seems remarkably unconcerned that Rio is cheating on her with herself. Awesome entertainment.

I read recently that they’ve released all 3 series on DVD. So going on my wish list of things to get when I get a real job and can afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment