Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Book Project - Page 01

I was recently influenced by an artist I found in a graphic book called Gary Baseman, who uses old books on which to do his drawings.  


I thought the idea was absolutely brilliant so I took myself down to the local recycle center and bought myself a bunch of old hardback books.  They are absolutely stunning, each one's a different colour with matching coloured edges on the paper.  In keeping with my quest to draw more I began with this drawing last night whilst listening to a Joe Rogan podcast:


The original scan wasn't great (it blurs at the edge around her hand) so I had to do some cropping to make it look a little nicer.   In doing this though it loses a wee bit of her story.  I wanted it to look like she was imprisoned in the page of this book, her hand touching the spine like it's a wall she can't get through.  The quote at the top was from the podcast.  Rogan and his guest were talking about the idea of super-sentient computers in the future saying how it could ultimately lead to our doom, the idea being that "We are [the] cows, and we're in the process of building a butcher".  Incredibly pensive and bitterly poignant at the same time.

I coloured her this morning, and I'm incredibly happy with how she turned out.


I have three more drawings in my (now considerably boring due to it's plain white pages) sketchbook I've been working on recently.  I have two of them scanned so I'm hopefully going to get them coloured if I can maintain access to a computer/tablet.  They will be posted as soon as they are done.

x L

2 comments:

  1. I adore how clean and neat your lines are, it really adds to the texture of the writing on the page and the way you coloured it compliments it well. Using old books as a sketchbook is a pretty neat idea and I can't wait to see more :) The book you linked is also fantastic, I love those insightful books where you can see inside other peoples sketchbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kat! It is quite a worrying endeavour... for now it means ALL books can be sketchbooks, not very healthy for a sketchbookophile :D xL

    ReplyDelete