Monday, September 19, 2011

Girl on See-Saw

video


Or teeter-tot as they seem to call them in America (crazy Americans).  As a part of our new story, and so boards and animatic, we felt our little female protagonist would appear more lonelier if we put her and her wee teddy bear companion on a see-saw rather than a swing.  A swing can be played on quite happily by one person but a see-saw really does require two, and as we want to show the audience she has no friend to play with, a see-saw became our replacement.  Her loneliness becomes immediately apparent when we see that the bear makes a terrible see-saw partner, and it gives an understanding to her reaction to the boy when she sees him.  She is lonely and wants a friend, and he is lost and in need of a friendly face.  

I've been boarding and scheduling away these last few days (last week of course, the weekend was lost to far too much television and far too little dissertation) and have managed to cobble together the first wee clip of her and her bear on the see-saw.  There is something completely and utterly wrong with the timing somewhere but I've been looking at it too long to see exactly what.  

Feedback would be very, very welcome if anyone would care to give me some pointers.  I'll hopefully have more of a sequence tomorrow so I will try my best to upload that too if I can.

Enjoy! 

x L

2 comments:

  1. In order to make myself of any assistance, I'd just make sure you are aware of these moments for timing (which I am sure you are) which I believe are important:

    Time on her reaction to putting the bear down to see her emotional state; the anticipation for her action on the see-saw when sitting on the seat for more suspense and you can exaggerate the amount of effort she is putting in by herself; and the final reaction to it all.

    You can string-out what you have done here time-wise, and in theory it builds suspense and therefore more of a reaction comically to the bad see-saw companion if the slapstick is fairly quick. as well as the reaction to the whole thing at the end will bring what you want to say about the girl finally. This is because I believe you are going for a mixture of comedy and emotion - the content and the ending I believe will determine the emotion but the comedy/audience reaction will be determined by its timing in these areas to draw the audience into the action - which will likely make them more perceptive to the character.

    So, basically what I am saying is I'd advise not taking time off of these two or three parts you have and if fitted you could add more time here in my opinion.

    Even a shot at the very end of the floppy and useless bear sitting there could go a long way. And possibly a close-up of her emotion as well.

    Just what at first springs to mind.

    Any reactions, talk to me in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fraser for your comments! I was starting to think no one paid to these blogs. Your final comment about the 'floppy and useless bear' and also the close up were exactly the things I was going to work on today! This is brilliant news as you've confirmed the direction I had intended to go on, so thanks for that! It'd good to know I'm on the right path. It is what's needed to

    I also like your comment that we are going for comedy and emotion, again this is exactly correct and I'm glad you've picked up on it. Either that or you're incredibly, incredibly intuitive :)

    I will be extending the shot today so if I get it done I will come find you and you can cast your eye over it again!

    Cheers Fraser

    ReplyDelete