Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Irn Bru Christmas Cards 2012 - Part II

Finally got my hands on some of my assets from Ink.Digital last week, so I can now finally start posting some of the wonderful things I've doing over the last six months!  I have now officially, and very sadly, finished my time at Ink two weeks ago.  Made some wonderful friends there, who I am very much planning to keep in contact with while I am away.  I have learned so much in such a short space of time, and all of it extremely valuable.  I have spent many a long night in the company of those fine folk and I can genuinely say they were the best thing about the job!  YOU WILL ALL BE VERY SORELY MISSED!  You know who you are!

Next step for me is a year in Walt Disney World, Florida, working as a 'Cultural Representative of the UK' in the UK Pavilion at EPCOT (which is fancy pants for 'selling merchandise dressed as a 1900s wench at Disney' for a year).  As of today I am at the 13-days-to-go mark.  Excitement is an understatement at this point!

So, I am going to apologise for the blog spamming to come over the next few days.  Gonna starting off with the Irn-Bru Christmas Card assets, since that was my last blog post and because it was the MOST AWESOMEST project I did BY FAR! :D

Here are the final full-res images for the cards (much better than those awful pictures I took):

© Ink Animations Ltd 2012

© Ink Animations Ltd 2012

And some of the rough layouts and character developments for the 'Sacrificial Penguin':
© Ink Animations Ltd 2012


Initially the scene was set in a mountain range, but that quickly turned to an iceberg (for those wily-eyed folks out there, you are correct, polar bears and penguins DO NOT co-exist, but both like to hang out on icebergs, so that stuck).  I also had to tone down the ferocity of the polar bear, intensify the fear of the sacrificed penguin and emphasize the pointed fin of the penguin at the back.

And here's a few of the layouts for the Snowmen:
© Ink Animations Ltd 2012  

I say 'a few' because we couldn't decide on the the right angle for these guys, or where the horizon line would work best.  I also wasn't entirely sure how best to portray the facial emotions on the snowmen.  Coal mouths weren't really expressive enough, so we played about with lines traced in the snow, which, as you can see from the final design above, was closest to the design we settled on. Also, my initial interpretation of the brief was that the snowman 'victim' had already melted, but this wasn't the case, I had to think of it more like a 'stick-up'.

Again, apologies in advance for the upcoming splurge of posts. Gonna try and get everything up before I leave on the 19th!

- L

1 comment:

  1. These look fantastic and I love the layouts as well. I look forward to more spamming to come!! Bring it on. :D

    ReplyDelete